Thursday, October 9, 2008

Making a Leap of Faith


As believers, we are challenged to do many things: be holy, forgive, evangelize, give, love. All of these require faith. Sometimes I have strong faith, and other times weak faith. Being the non-confrontational person that I am, I am often gripped with fear despite numerous remindings from God's word that He didn't give me a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and self-discipline (1 Timothy 1:7).

I took God's word seriously today, took a leap of faith, and admonished someone through a lengthy letter. Admonish means to caution, advise, counsel against something. What compelled me to do such an unorthodox thing?

A troubled marriage of a loved one, on the brink of divorce.

The past week God has subtly and overtly given me nudges to do this. The thought of not doing something, scared me enough to actually do something! It all started with this convicting post from Voddie Baucham, and yet another post from Carolyn Mahaney. It then culminated when Brent and I finally went to see Fireproof last night. Everywhere I turned, I kept hearing messages of covenantal marriage. How could I be blind to what God would have me to do?

Believers must speak truth in love. We aren't doing anyone any favors if we watch someone racing towards a cliff without flagging them down with a stern warning...STOP!!! Really, who is the more loving one then? The one nodding quietly in approval or the one speaking up to help save you?

I only pray that this letter will be received in love, because I was firm yet gentle in my writing of it. Please pray that God would mend my loved ones' marriage.

No comments: