Friday, June 27, 2008

Honesty you can eat

A lot of people talk about how God's timing is not ours (agreed), but isn't it great when you receive an immediate blessing from being obedient? I learned that yesterday while at the downtown farmer's market.

Strolling through vendor after vendor, colors bright and vibrant everywhere, with some live music filtering through the air. It was perfect! My senses were alive and rekindled. I had a list (of course) of veggies to buy for this weekend's meals. I was drawn to an older man sitting at his table by his friendly smile. I'm a sucker for smiles :) After pilfering through bushels of red potatoes, tomatoes, onions and more, I chose my lucky few and he weighed them.

I got quite a bit for all of $4. I handed him a $20, apologized for lack of smaller bills, and he handed me back two $10s and $1. I gave a puzzled look and said "Sir, you gave me $21 and I only need $16 back." He also shot me a confused look and said, "Ohh, I thought I gave you $5 in there. Since you were honest, go ahead and grab something for free."

He didn't have to tell me twice. I scooped up a sweet-smelling fuzzy peach and thanked him.



Luke 16:10-11, “If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities. And if you are untrustworthy about worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of heaven?"

No comments: