Friday, June 5, 2009

My middle name could very well be Helga

Okay, so the most random thing happened mere minutes ago. While I was sitting in this very spot, perusing blogs and such, I heard a loud Craaackk followed by crashing. WHAT THA?!

Strangely enough, it happened right near my head...and no, my brain did not fall out and break.

Instead, one of my beautiful china plates just up and decided, "Today is the day I want to break in two." The poor plate is now lying pitifully in two very large pieces. Thank goodness in its failed attempt to run away with the spoon that it didn't take a precious teacup and saucer down with it too. I am glad my china sits on shelves behind closed glass doors, else that thing could've pushed several pieces on top of me!

Okay, so here's where the story really gets interesting. The Sherlock Holmes in me begins to use inductive, or is it deductive reasoning, to try and figure out why this happened:

  • So, we've had lots of rain, could the china somehow become affected by high humidity?? But we blast our frigid A/C nonstop, so I'm not sure that's it. Plus, this Waterford china is allegedly dishwasher safe. Temperature variances should not have broken this plate.
  • Perhaps a manufacturing flaw...a hairline fracture of sorts that finally gave way? It is bone china after all, maybe it had osteoporosis?...tee hee hee

And then I remembered something highly, and I do mean highly ironic that took place a few hours prior.

You see...I sing. I loooove to sing. Especially when no one is around, which is perfect for this now SAHW.

I was singing "How Great Thou Art" and got to the part at the end of the chorus where the pitch gets a bit high...."How great thou art, how great thou art!" As I hit that particular note, I heard something that could best be described as being startled. I jumped up thinking Cubbie had knocked something over or had gotten surprised by her own gas (which happens quite frequently!). When I found her, she looked comatose as usual, napping in our bedroom.

What I am now pondering is, is that when my precious china plate began to involuntarily crack?! Perhaps that was the surprising sound I heard. Am I somehow responsible for this?!

And then it dawned on me...that familiar quote that conjures up the image of a woman with a viking hat on...

"It ain't over 'til the fat (pregnant) lady sings."

Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case!