Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Your City: God's Kingdom Come

Last year the church that I attend developed a Missions week for our city. A time to be "on mission" but right at home. With the price of gas being as high as it is, this couldn't come at a better time. July 14-18 is our official Missions week. Bienvenidos!

This year I'm helping out at the International Salvation Army in our downtown area. Our group will be doing VBS for Hispanic children with the Outrigger Island theme/materials. I along with three others will be teaching 3rd graders. I hope that these children will know Christ more at the end of this week.


I am already amazed at how God has worked out the behind-the-scene details to make this as easy as possible. To say it will be a busy week is an understatement. After working my 8-5 job, I will go directly to the Salvation Army, thankfully only 2 miles from where I work. I was stressed out about having to bring two meals a day with me (lunch & dinner), but praise the Lord, the Salvation Army decided to feed us crazy VBS workers along with the children before it begins at 6 o'clock. That is a major blessing to me and to our grocery bill for the week! My husband is working from 9-7 at other Salvation Army locations in our city to help with painting and serving dinner each evening. Needless to say, he'll be receiving free food as well.
Sunday night was our opening night and overall there was a pretty low turnout, but we are hopeful that the rest of the week will pick up due to word of mouth. My class had 3 boys and they are all boy. :) I pray that God will erase the cultural barriers between us. All of the children speak English, but I still have my copy of "The Idiot's Guide to Spanish" on standby, along with 2 years of faded Spanish class memories.
During Praise & Worship time, I really enjoyed listening to the Captain's message about being of one brotherhood with all different accents. How sweet it is to hear voices from other nationalities praise His Name!
Please pray for my kids Javier, Ervin, and Ivan this week. They need your prayers. I'll update more as the week goes on...
Oh, and be very glad you weren't able to watch me sing "Pharaoh, Pharaoh" with motions to our group! :)

No comments: