Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Adventures in Parenting: It's the little things

Before I became a parent, I never knew:

  • I'd spend so much time chopping/dicing/mashing/tearing food bits.
  • That the moment my husband's key would unlock our door around 5:20 pm, I would have immediate relief wash over me.
  • how important changing tables are when you're out in public.
  • I would end up consuming just as many Cheerios as my child does.
  • how glorious naps were; for both of us.
  • that God could use a little child to teach me the hardest lessons.
  • how wonderful and sanity-saving, grandparents could be.
  • the slight differences between Pampers, Huggies, and Luvs. Not to mention, the beauty of pop-up wipes.
  • what a challenging calling that motherhood truly is.
  • that "snack traps" don't really trap all of the snack!
  • that cloth bibs work best for bottles and liquidy stuff, but slick pelican bibs are better for table food.
  • how pitiful your child looks when he's sick.
  • the beauty and fun of consignment sales.
  • that some days, your child will get on your last nerve.
  • that other days, you can't get enough of him.
  • how much I would desperately need God's forgivness and grace in raising a child.

I have learned so much in this small little space of time that my son has been around. And I can't imagine my life without him now. He grew in me a little over a year ago, and now he's grown on me. God give me the grace that despite all of my failings and quirks, he will ultimately see You.

No comments: