Friday, December 18, 2009

Snow place like home

As I type, and I can't believe I'm about to type this, it's snowing. Glorious snow. It made me start to think about reasons why I love it when it snows:
  1. There is excitement everywhere. Especially here, since most folks don't know how to drive in it or deal with it. It's rare in these parts. Usually we get ice instead of snow. The local meteorologists probably drink 4 espressos in order to deal with round the clock severe weather updates. Not to mention the absurd run on grocery stores for milk and bread.

  2. The soft silence that envelops everything. It's as if the world is sleeping away, enjoying the respite.

  3. Watching for cardinals. They are my utmost favorite bird, and we are fortunate to be able to see them daily. I really don't think anything can compete with the stark contrast of a fire-cracker red bird perched amid the white snow. Simply breathtaking.

  4. Making snow cream. If you've never tasted it before, I liken it to manna from heaven. Quite literally ;) All you need is 1) snow 2) sugar 3) vanilla 4) milk/cream. Mmmm so good.

  5. Nesting. I love how families get together and stay indoors for the day. Board games, hot cocoa, slow cooked meal, and movies are my perfect snow day. And throw in a couple of blankets too.

  6. Contrary to #5, but...enjoying the outdoors. For every hour spent indoors, there's a healthy balance of being outdoors in the snow too. I love piling on the dusty snow gear and getting wet, cold, and hot all at the same time! Building snowmen, making snow angels, throwing snowballs, taking a walk.

  7. Watching my dog play in it. She knows she doesn't get to see or feel the cold, white stuff that often, and consequently gets hyper. I love seeing her tracks in the snow.

  8. Feeling as if you're in a snow globe. I like to picture my home in a snowglobe :)

  9. Legitimately singing "Winter Wonderland." Frolicking and playing, "the Eskimo way." ;) Though I still would love to be able to hear sleigh bells ringing!

  10. Making comfort foods. My mom's tradition is baking chocolate chip cookies, but I might start one of my own: baking bread.

No comments: